Periodontal disease, often known as gum disease, is a widespread dental condition affecting many people in San Diego and worldwide. If left unattended, it may result in major oral health issues such as tooth loss. Fortunately, scaling and root planing, a procedure used to treat gum disease, are available from a dentist in Rancho San Diego. We will discuss scaling and root planning, why it is significant, and how it may support residents of America’s Finest City in maintaining healthy smiles in this educational blog post.
Gingivitis, a condition marked by gum inflammation and bleeding, is the first stage of gum disease. If not treated, it can develop into periodontitis, where pockets form between the gums and teeth, causing infection and possibly even tooth loss. The risk of gum disease can be increased by factors such as poor dental hygiene, smoking, heredity, and specific medical conditions.
What is root planning and scaling?
San Diego dentists use a non-surgical process called scaling and root planing, also known as a “deep cleaning,” to treat gum diseases. There are two main aspects of this treatment.
- Scaling: In this step, dentists or dental hygienists remove plaque and tartar accumulation from tooth surfaces, both above and below the gum line, using specialized equipment. Scaling eliminates the origin of the infection and inflammation.
- Root planing: The rough surfaces of the tooth roots are smoothed off in this step to prevent the growth of bacteria and to make it easier for the gums to reconnect to the teeth. As a result, the bacteria have a longer time.
Why Root Planing and Scaling Are Important
For a number of reasons, scaling and root planing are essential treatments for gum diseases.
- Halting Disease Progression: By eliminating the infection, this surgery prevents gum disease from progressing and protects oral health from future harm.
- Lowering Inflammation: Scaling and root planing both work to lower gum inflammation, which can result in healthier and more pleasant gums.
- Preventing Tooth Loss: Treating gum disease early with scaling and root planing can prevent tooth loss and preserve the smile and oral function.
- Improving Oral Health: This deep cleaning procedure enhances the general health of the mouth and lowers the risk of systemic health problems caused by untreated gum.
Residents of San Diego can cure gum diseases quite well with scaling and root planing. With quick treatment for gum disease using this thorough cleaning technique, you may maintain your dental health, safeguard your smile, and take pleasure in ever-healthy gums. If you think you could have gum disease and require scaling and root planning to restore oral health, do not wait to get in touch with a reputable dentist in San Diego for an assessment.