Sometimes, you may feel your ears blocked up. Ear wax tend to accumulate and sometimes make it difficult to hear. And you may also have heard that using cotton swabs is not the safe way to remove the ear wax. So, we have highlighted the best way to clean your ears.
- Damp cloth
Cotton swabs help in pushing the ear wax deeper into the ear canal. You should only use cotton swabs on the external parts of your ear, or it is better if you wipe the area with a warm and damp washcloth.
- Earwax softener
Many medical stores tend to sell OTC eardrops that help in softening the earwax. These drops are merely a solution that entail:
- Baby oil
- Mineral oil
- Hydrogen peroxide
Put in a few drops into your ear, be patient for certain time, then drain or rinse out your ear. Always pay heed to the instructions mentioned on the package. Consult your doctor if the symptoms don’t improve.
You can also irrigate your ears with the help of a syringe. In this, you need to rinse out the ear canal with water or a saline solution. This method is effective when using wax softener for 15 to 30 minutes before you irrigate it. It is always advisable to warm the solution to the temperature of your body to keep the dizziness at bay.How to protect your ears?
- Always pay heed to any changes in hearing if you are using any special meds. If you notice any change, any issues in balance, or ringing in your ears, consult your doctor ASAP.
- Never insert small objects into your ear. Never insert anything that is smaller in size than your elbow inside of your ear canal as it can damage your eardrum or wax impaction
- Avoid being exposed to loud noises. Always don protective headgear or earplugs when the noise is too loud.
- It is advisable to take periodic breaks from using your headphones. Always keep the volume low enough so that no one can hear your music. Never increase the volume of your car sound system too high as well.
- Always dry your ears out after swimming to keep the swimmer’s ear at bay. Always use a cloth to wipe the external part of your ear and then tilt the head to get rid of the water inside.